Cats are wonderful friends of millions of people worldwide. They are one of the most popular pets and there are very good reasons for that. Some of them are easier to believe, others – harder. So I say let’s delve into the 15 Unbelievable Facts About Cats, which you may or may not know of.
- Cats have the power to heal themselves by purring. When they purr, they produce a sound which has a frequency of between 25 and 150 Hertz and it is this frequency which has the ability to help bones, as well as muscle tissues grow and repair itself by creating special vibrations.
- Cats also don’t only purr when they’re happy. They might purr then they’re sad, angry or injured.
- Cats spend about 30 to 50% of their wake time grooming themselves. This helps them to not only be more hygienic, but also to cool themselves, lose scent and avoid predators, helps with blood flow and stay warm and dry by distributing natural oils throughout their fur. Their saliva also seems to serve as an antibiotic for their wounds and also, licking each other helps cats to communicate affection with each other.
- Cats’ noses are as unique as our fingerprints.
- Vast majority of cats are left-handed, or left-pawed, unlike humans. So if you ever wanted to teach your cat boxing, southpaw is probably the way to go.
- The average resting heart rate of a cat is 110-140 beats per minute. Which is about twice as much as the average resting heart rate of humans.
- On average, cats spend 70% of their lives sleeping. This one might be easier to believe…
- There are quite a few scientific studies that concur that mature cats are actually lactose intolerant, and shouldn’t drink milk, even though they often like to, if you pour it into a faucet.
- Average cat is able to jump 8 feet in the air from a stationary position, which is about 5 times it’s height and almost 6 times it’s body’s length.
- Cats have incredibly sensitive hearing. They hear sounds about 4 times more loud than us. Which is pretty incredible and which is partially what makes them such good predators.
- Their most sensitive sense is the smell – they can smell about 14 times better than us. Which is even more incredible and which makes them even better predators.
- Because cats are carnivore predators, they can only move their jaws up and down, not side to side.
- One in 200 cats are believed to have asthma, and that number is expected to rise because more and more cats live indoors with humans and are exposed to things like cigarette smoke, dust and so on.
- Cats are digitigrades, which means that they walk on their toes, rather than their paws. You know who also walked like that? Dinosaurs.
- Cats can also have incredibly sensitive paws that they use detect temperature and other environmental factors. Their paws also serve as suspensions that absorb force on impact. They can also sweat through their paws. Their paws are just amazing.
And that’s it, for now. Cat’s are magnificent and mysterious creatures that hold many secrets that ultimately make them the lovable pets for millions of people. Now you can go ahead and admire your cat even more than before. And that concludes this 15 Unbelievable Facts About Cats article.
Also, if you’re interested in the history of cats and humans, you might want to check out the Brief Cat And Human History article.
If you’d like to know why cats purr, then here you go: Why Do Cats Purr?
And if you love cats and would like to have apparel on your body or artwork on your walls, you might want to check out these pieces: