15 Unbelievable Facts About Snakes

Continuing our series regarding reptiles, we just have to discuss snakes. Snakes are some of the most fascinating, mysterious and misunderstood animals on Earth. There are a lot of things that many people don’t know about snakes, and some of them are reasons why some people have snakes as pets. So, let’s get down to the nitty gritty. Here’s 15 Unbelievable Facts About Snakes.

Snakes are carnivorous reptiles.
  1. Snakes are carnivores. All of them.
  2. There are more than 3000 species of snakes in the world. They also live all over the world, every continent, except for Antartica.
  3. Out of those 3000 snake species, there are around 700 species of venomous snakes. The venom is used for self-defence and for killing prey.
  4. Snakes, like other reptiles, are cold-blooded. This means that their body temperature changes in according to the temperature of their environment, unlike warm-blooded animals whose temperature remains constant, regardless of their environment. Snakes who live in cold climates hibernate during winter, because if they wouldn’t hibernate – they wouldn’t survive.
  5. Snakes don’t have eyelids.
  6. They use their tongues to smell.
  7. Some sea snakes can breathe partially through their skin, allowing for longer dives underwater.
  8. Two-headed snakes aren’t just mythological creatures. Sometimes, they are born in real life, as a result of a genetic mutation. And sometimes those heads fight each other for food, despite sharing the same body.
  9. Snakes have teeth used to defend themselves or kill their prey, but they can’t actually bite their food and have to swallow it whole.
  10. 70% of snake species lay eggs while the other 30% give birth to live offspring.
  11. Because of their slow metabolism snakes don’t need to eat as often as most other animals. Some snakes go for months without eating.
  12. Snakes shed their skin once a month, to allow for new skin to grow. This process can take a few days.
  13. Snakes have flexible jaws which allow them to eat prey significantly bigger than them. They can actually open their mouths at 150 degrees and eat prey about 75-100% bigger than their own size. 
  14. Some water-dwelling snakes, called sea snakes, can partially breathe through their skin, which allows them to dive deep underwater without having to come to surface to breath air.
  15. Pythons, cobras, boas and anacondas, for example, tend to wrap around their pray in order to suffocate it. It’s a process called constriction.
Some snakes kill their prey through suffocation.

For now, that’s it. Snakes are some of the most dangerous carnivores walking the earth and they have clearly adapted to hunt as effectively as possible. That being said, they aren’t always dangerous and are important in the chain of food. That concludes this 15 Unbelievable Facts About Snakes article.

If you’re interested, you can check out this article about turtles.

Also, if you’d like to learn more about snakes, here’s a link to a different article in a different website.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *