15 Unbelievable Facts About Jellyfish

There are many weird and interesting animals on this planet, but few are as captivating as jellyfish. At first glance, it’s hard to even understand how they live and function, but that is because they are very distinct and complex creatures who hide many secrets from us, that I intend to expose. So, without further ado, I bring to you: 15 Unbelievable Facts About Jellyfish

Jellyfish are made of mesoglea – a jelly like material which contributes to their interesting look.
  1. Jellyfish are boneless, brainless and bloodless, which makes most people confused, as to how they even live.
  2. They got their name from a jelly-like material that they are made of called – mesoglea.
  3. Jellyfish can reproduce sexually – by the male jellyfish release their sperm, and the female jellyfish releasing their eggs into the water. They can also reproduce asexually, by splitting, like bacteria.
  4. Turritopsis dohrnii, is a jellyfish which can reverse aging and, if not killed – live forever! That’s why it’s also known as – the immortal jellyfish. They reverse aging with a process called transdifferentiation. This process, in this particular species of jellyfish, is characterized by an adult jellyfish going back to being a polip, instead of dying and then growing up again and repeating the process over and over again. That’s right, there are immortal jellyfish, people. And by the way, turritopsis dohrnii is the only known animal who is capable of reversing it’s life cycle. The only reason why these jellyfish die is because of external factors like predators.
  5. Many jellyfish have bioluminescent organs that make them glow in the dark. This helps them to attract prey and deter predators. This also makes it easier for humans to study them and just creates a beautiful sight to see.
  6. Most jelly fish have tentacles, but scyphomedusa deepstaria don’t. They’ve evolved to not need tentacles to trap their prey.
  7. 5% of jellyfishes’ bodies are comprised of structural proteins, muscles and nerve cells. The rest 95% are water. Contrast that to the fact that about 60% of our bodies are made of water.
  8. The most venomous marine animals are actually species of jellyfish known as Australian box jellyfish. There are about 150 million jellyfish stings recorded worldwide every year. While most of them aren’t very dangerous, the Australian box jellyfish stings can be fatal to human adults and many animals. They are very dangerous.
  9. Sometimes, jellyfish swarms are so dense that there’s actually more jellyfish than water in a given space. They can actually cause problems to humans by disrupting fishing ships and even clogging intake pipes of nuclear power plants. There have actually been quite a few power plants that have been forced to be shut down, because of jellyfish.
  10. You know that whole “urinate on the spot that has been stung by a jellyfish” thing? yeah well, it’s a myth. It doesn’t actually work.
  11. In 1991, over 2,000 jellyfish polyps were shot into space, to test how they would react to a no-gravity environment. They not only survived, but began reproducing and produced about 60,000 space-dwelling jellyfish. however, these jellyfish couldn’t function when they returned to Earth.
  12. While most jellyfish aren’t edible by humans, there are over 25 species that are. They can be found in salads or are pickled. People who ate them reported that they have salty taste and a similar consistency to noodles.
  13. The oldest jellyfish fossil found dates back to 505 million years ago. That is way before dinosaurs, who lived about 245 million to 66 million years ago.
  14. Jellyfish often eat shrimp, plants or fish. They also often use their tentacles to stun or kill their prey and then eat it.
  15. Despite being called jellyfish, they actually aren’t fish. Fish have skeletons, whereas jellyfish are invertebrates.
Jellyfish – aren’t fish. How’s that for a fact?

And that’s all, folks! I hope you’ve learned something new about our jelly friends and if you want to, feel free to share this article with anyone else who might be interested in them. And that’s it for the 15 Unbelievable Facts About Jellyfish.15 Unbelievable Facts About Jellyfish.

If you’d like to know more about jellyfish, here’s a link to a different website.

If you’re interested in octopuses, here’s a link to an article about them.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *