Dogs are said to be man’s best friends. Cats are loved too, but dogs are love differently. And there are a lot of very good reasons as to why that is the case. These seemingly simple creatures are actually amazingly distinct from most other animals on Earth and this makes them some of the most popular, If not the most popular pets in the world. So, without further ado, 15 Unbelievable Facts About Dogs.
- Dogs seem to have a similar level of intelligence to 2 year old kids. They even both understand roughly 250 words and gestures.
- Dogs can figure the change in the mood of their owner by smelling his or her changing scent, because of their incredibly sensitive smell sense. Which is, by the way, approximately 100,000 times better than ours.
- The reason why dogs noses are wet is because it helps them to absorb scent chemicals.
- Dogs can smell various diseases in humans, particularly cancer. That’s because cancer cells release different metabolic waste products than healthy cells. So dogs can potentially smell and detect early stages of cancer by smelling their owners breaths.
- Dogs can hear sounds coming about 4 times further away than humans can.
- Dogs can become jealous when they see their owner being affectionate towards another animal or even human.
- Petting a dog and gazing into his or her eyes makes your and your dog’s brain release oxytocin (love hormone).
- One of the reasons why dogs, when given the freedom to do so, carefully try to find “the right” place to poop is because they like to poop in alignment to Earth’s magnetic field.
- There are approximately 600 million dogs worldwide and about 400 million of them are strays.
- Dogs have the sense of time. They can understand difference between an hour and several hours and can sometimes even predict recurring behavioural patterns like going out for a walk at the same time of day every day.
- Dog only have sweat glands in their paws (with exception of certain cold weather breeds). That’s why they tend to rely on panting as means of cooling themselves down and also why wetting their paws on a hot day could help them.
- Dogs can learn more than 1000 words.
- Dogs can see in the dark. That’s because they have tapetum lucidum, a mirror-like membrane in their eyes. There are light and motion sensitive cells in their retinas helping them to distinguish between shadow and light. So dogs can see in dim light, albeit not as well as cats.
- They also have very sensitive whiskers that also help them to orient in dark, because they can sense air currents and their changes. This helps to identify size, shape, and speed of various objects in their environment.
- Dogs see the world in black, white, blue and yellow colors.
And that’s it! For now. Dogs truly are marvels of evolution that can save human lives and help us to live more fulfilled lives. So the next time you look at your dog, recognize the amazing complexity of his or her body and mind. And that concludes the 15 Unbelievable Facts About Dogs article.
If you own a dog, or just love them, you might want to get apparel or artwork expressing one’s love for these amazing friends of ours: